May 16, 2013

'I Just Couldn't Do It'

Brenna Lorek, an eighth grader in Fairport Harbor, Ohio, sends this poem: 

If I had to say
Goodbye,
I would probably cry.

It would be one of the most
Saddest things
I would have to live with.

I would have just
Let the Nazis take me,
So I could die too.

It would also be
A great joy to escape,
But not to leave my family behind.

I don’t think I would be able
To leave my
Friends, family, and animals,
I just couldn’t do it.

Even if I lived
through the whole thing.
Or even if I escaped, I still don’t
Think I could have left anyone behind,
To die.

Even today I would feel
Great pain,
And regret it.
I would also be glad,
That I escaped,
And am safe.

There is so much empathy reflected in these words.  Thank you, Brenna, for reading and thinking about the lives and deaths of those who experienced the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment